Believe it or not, it is possible to service a computer from home. The best part is that it will only take around fifteen minutes a month to do so, but it will benefit the user in the long run as it will keep the computer stable, safe and optimized.
Here is a checklist of the things that can be done on a regular basis, all of which are completely free of charge:
– Make backups of personal information. No matter how unobtrusive the following actions may be, it is always best to stay safe. So, before making any adjustments or alterations to a computer, backups would be an absolute must.
– Update the security patches and drivers on the computer. Windows usually has an automatic update service for these things and the majority of users out there choose to use this process, so that they won’t have to run it manually. Before doing any virus scans, it would also be smart to update the computer’s anti-virus program to ensure that nothing gets away unnoticed.
– On that note, scan the internal drives, external drives and other storage devices on the computer for viruses on every day or week. If the Internet isn’t really used on the computer, though, a weekly scan would be enough since the main virus source out there is the World Wide Web.
– Clean the registry every couple of weeks. This is important for every computer, most of all if applications are constantly being added, modified and removed from it on a regular basis.
– Defragment the hard drive partitions every now and then. On its first run, the disk defragmenter might be a little slow, but it will get faster during subsequent times. People who create a lot of large files might have to do this every week, but other users can get away with a monthly run.
– Clean up the computer drives, including temporary browser files and unused software, and get rid of everything that is usually left unused. Not only will this free up some much-needed computer space, but it will make the computer run faster, too.
Repairing a Computer
There are a lot of computer repair methods out there, all of which will depend on the problem and the person who is trying to fix it. If the computer has operating problems, for example, it might be difficult to figure out what the root of the problem actually is if there is no computer whiz in the house. Fortunately, there are a lot of programs available in today’s market that can fix these problems by resuscitating the computer or making its programs run faster again.
Maintaining a Computer in Tip-Top Condition
As much as people might want to save money and avoid spending money on unnecessary things for their computer, it would be highly advisable to invest in online security software in order to make sure that your computer keeps running at its peak performance. This way, your computer can be kept safe from security problems and viruses that can usually be found all over the World Wide Web.