Airtel has launched a mobile wallet service called Airtel Money which is effectively a debit card with a limit of Rs 5,000. It has launched a service in Gurgaon which enables mobile payments. The subscriber needs to deposit money in his mobile account (similar to a bank account), and can then transfer money to the shopkeeper’s ‘mwallet’ by sending an SMS.
Retailers need a phone connection and card reader to process credit card payments; while in case of Airtelmoney both the customer and the shopkeeper must have Airtel connections.
Where can you use airtel money?
- Load cash: Load cash on your airtel mobile by visiting your nearest airtel retail outlet.
- Pay bills & recharge: You will be able to use this cash in your mobile for making bill payments (electricity, gas, financial services, etc.) and recharge
- Shop & make payments: Instead of cash, pay over-the-counter merchants such as your nearest kirana store, chemist, etc using your mobile phone. You can even sit at home and pay for services like booking movie tickets online
To use airtel money
- Register by filling in the application form and submitting KYC documents (2 photocopies of proof-of-identity, 1 copy of proof-of-address and a passport size photograph).
- After the above, your existing airtel SIM will be upgraded to the new 64K airtel SIM with airtel money.
- Activate your airtel money account by choosing your MPIN.
- Load cash into your airtel money account by visiting your nearest airtel retailer
- You are now ready to send commands through the airtel money application on your phone and transact anytime, anywhere!
Airtel has launched this service in Gurgaon, Haryana, and plans to extend it to other parts of within the next few days.